The History of the Villa
The Kőrössy Villa
By the end of the 19th century, the area around the City Park became an elegant neighborhood where, besides factory owners, wholesale dealers and doctors, a number of successful artists and architects had their villas built for themselves. Albert Kálmán Kőrössy, then single young architect, was one of them. He bought land under 47. City Park Avenue (Városligeti Fasor) on the 29th April in 1899. The land situated between those of painter Viktor Madarász and photographer György Klösz was sold to him by lawyer dr. Gusztáv Schwarz. It took multiple stages for the piece of land to be completely built in by the Millenium. The private villa on the street front was designed by Albert Kálmán Kőrössy in 1899 where he moved in with his wife Dóra Paula Leóna Máriá Román (Rosenberg) in 1900.
The facade of the Kőrössy Villa is richly decorated and divided by dynamic wall planes and versatile window shapes. Every single window is unique on the building’s main facade: while on the ground floor, you can find pairs or more complex structures in balconies, on the first floor there is a bigger one with a scheme arch as well as a special omega-shaped balcony. As decorative elements you can notice blooming, flowery tendrils and fruits and animals like lions and peacocks along with nymphs and gorgons.
The gable shows the three-fold allegory of Art itself: Painting, Sculpture and Architecture. It is interesting to note that the shape representing the allegory of Architecture-the owner of the house-is measuring the ratio of a mock-up of the Villa itself. The wrought-iron fence, echoing the style of the facade, is most probably the work of Gyula Jungfer.
A salon and an open veranda occupied the ground floor while on the first floor the bedrooms and the men’s and ladies’ bathrooms could be found. The underground service areas’ kitchen was connected to the ground floor’s serving window with a food lift.
The stained glass window, designed by Miksa Róth, is a defining element of the spacious hall. It is decorated with patterns of a stork and pomegranate -symbols of abundance-, Irises and Sunflowers too-those can also be found on the facade. The colorful wrought-iron banisters were designed by József Hochmann.
Kőrőssy used to use the street-front rooms as his study but in 1903 another, single-level building was established at the back of the land which-with its two smaller rooms and studio- later served as his architect office.
During the Second World War, the main facade of the Villa was most probably hit by a bomb and was later renovated in a simplified Eclectic style. In 1948, during nationalisation, the villa was offered for use to the Offset Printing National Company ( which in 1974 became the Offset Playing Cards Printing House) which along the property under number 47. The Kőrőssy Villa housed the management offices of the company while the studio house was turned into further offices and then to maintenance workshops later. Into the back of the land, a two-level firehouse was built for fire safety purposes. The stable was used as a garage for a while before being torn down in the beginning of the sixties. In its place a hall was built out of panels which served as a paper storage.
In 1994, After the collapse of Communism in Hungary, the Villa was acquired by the Resonator Ltd , founded by art collector András Szabó.